Yarning Our Country knitted landscape

An entirely knitted 3D landscape.

On display at the HORNSBY LIBRARY May 31 to June 26

THIS WILL BE THE FINAL DISPLAY OF THE PROJECT

Forums

Forum Home > What are you knitting? > What we have so far...

Leanne Barrett
Site Owner

So far we have

• 3 koalas
  • 2 chicks
  • a scarecrow (or person)
  • river rocks and river
  • 2 gum trees
  • grass tree 
  • crow
  • cockatoos
  • a picnic (lifesize)
  • some buildings for the farmland
  • some animals for the farmland
  • a cow (lifesize ?!?!?)
  • frogs
  • snakeskin
  • beehive
  • frilled neck lizard
  • lots of snakes (from Barrington Public School)
  • an owl
  • a background
  • "yarning our country" in french knitting
  • 2 platypus
  • wheelbarrow of flowers
  • a flock of sheep
  • vines for the rainforest
  • a cloud
  • piglet (full size)
  • 2  small kangaroos
  • possum
  • brush turkey
  • Tassie devil
  • chickens (full size)
  • wombat

We are also using "Wrap With Love" square specs for the background so they can be reused as blankets.

July 22, 2011 at 12:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lynda

I'll be trying a water dragon, and if I'm really organised, some foliage (Monstera?).

--

August 18, 2011 at 1:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda V

I am working on a white bellied sea eagle flying that can be suspended from the ceiling, below is the real life image, hopefully my knitted version will bear some likeness!!  The wingspan is about 1.8 m - 2 m,  I am figuring on my finished work being 1.5m across. They are a big bird, I hope that this will work okay

August 21, 2011 at 8:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Liz N

I'm wondering if you'd like me to organise with friends to make a wheelbarrow full of flowers for the garden? Obviously I'd need confirmation before we start so we're not doubling up. We're flexible about what we do, so please let me know what would be best. Also, for largish areas such as the sides of a timber-look wheelbarrow, is it permissible to use machine knitting rather than hand? It would probably have some hand embellishment added for character.

February 19, 2012 at 5:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Leanne Barrett
Site Owner

Hi Liz - yes a wheelbarrow would be wonderful.  Machine knitting is fine - general rule is yarn/fibre used in any way or any material knitted/crocheted.  Thanks.

--
February 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Elaine

Saw the animals you have already.

Glad to see there are no sheep so far, because I tried one and it was so cute I am now doing a flock.

Most enjoyable

Elaine

March 31, 2012 at 2:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Leanne Barrett
Site Owner

Fantastic Elaine, glad you are enjoying the project.

--
April 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Leanne Barrett
Site Owner

If you have children or grandchildren who love "French Knitting" we'd love as much as they can churn out!  We want to make "Yarning Our Country" in French knitting and of course we can always use it in the landscape somewhere....in the river...in the rainforest

--
May 2, 2012 at 12:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lynette Campton

I am knitting an emu, if he turns out ok he will be heading your way.

June 24, 2012 at 8:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Leanne Barrett
Site Owner

Lynette Campton at June 24, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I am knitting an emu, if he turns out ok he will be heading your way.

Fantastic Lynette!!  Can't wait to see it, thanks and welcome.

--
June 26, 2012 at 8:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lynette Campton

I have just recieved a book from the UK, it is Amigurumi Knits, patterns for cute mini knits some of which I think will be good for the landscape. I have to get our cwa branch craft officer to check it out with me but I think they will work out ok in size. I like the praying mantis, snail, earth worm, spider, ant and a basket of vegetables, the garlic looks so realistic, in fact everything in the book does. I am looking forward to knitting them and hopefully I will have some sucess with these projects to add to yarning our country.

July 20, 2012 at 8:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Leanne Barrett
Site Owner

Wow Lynette - it's going to be these small details that are really going to make the whole thing special.

--
July 24, 2012 at 8:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

annbeat

Could you tell me what size animals should be  - roughly? Is there some sort of overall scale to work to?

--
September 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Leanne Barrett
Site Owner

School's back this week and that means all the kids at St Joseph's and Barrington Public will be busy knitting for our landscape. There'll be swarms of bees and spiders and snakes and vines and......Out local nursing home residents are busy making our river and there's been a bit of yarnbombing around Gloucester too!

--
April 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.